Thursday, February 16, 2012

Forever afters :: The kid in me

This is a piece I wrote a while ago and for some reason haven’t posted. This is just a topic that I find interesting and have seen the changes happening lately. The following are just question that I ask myself about what love means to generations living today.

I’m sitting here with my 2 nieces watching the movie Tangled. At this stage in the movie – I’m dreaming of a fairy tale (don’t ask me why, just the effect of the movie I guess). Day dreaming of a place where everything is possible. That everlasting love that one finds (most of the time the princess) at the end of the movie. A happily ever after kind of ending. A question comes to mind when I snap myself back into reality is...

In a world filled with divorces and ending love (I would believe)… I ask, is true love possible in this day and age?

This post has more questions than answers or comments for that matter. The breakup of Heidi Klum and Seal is piercing my thoughts. Is everlasting love possible? A world where you would find a couple married for fifty plus years... Is that love conceivable in the days of 72 day marriages? In the days of people just giving up on each other after weeks of getting married let alone a few years of marriage? Do we just get tired of each other that much that we’d just let go that simply or is there more to why the divorce rate is skyrocketing?

What is it that is happening with marriages today that wasn't happening before? Are relationships today made up for calamity or is that everlasting love possible? I keep asking myself what it is today that couples aren’t doing that our mothers, fathers, grand and great grandmothers and fathers were doing before.

I think we as a society today give up too easily when things aren't going our way. In a society of instant gratification, where when you have a question about something you consult Google to give you answers. If you need something you don’t have in the house, for example a tomato, access to that is a store away. You won’t have to wait for them until they are in season or fully ripen.

I guess we will always have fairy tales to remind us of possibilities of everlasting loves and getting married to someone you totally adore and can’t imagine anything else except for life with that person. Happily ever after…

No comments: