Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Blame Youtube

Hi Everyone...

Yes I have been on a hiatus for a while. I feel like I've been neglecting blogging lately. This is can be explained by - Youtube took me away from blogging ;) *looks around to see if people believe me :D*... That is my only excuse except I've just been too lazy to post anything. SO! I've decided to dedicate this post to channels that I have been obsessing over for the past few weeks...


Oh in other news... I was going through the web as I usually do ;) and found this!!!! Exciting news indeed (this is an old post so please forgive me). Please don't get me wrong... I love local brands, but I'm kinda excited for the possibility of this, with Zara already creating its mark in the country. Now with all the youtube channels that I have been watching and mentions of Topshop on ALL of them - the following post is making me all giddy.


Finally! Some good news for all us fashion obsessed South African residents. No longer will we have to save and wait for our summer trips to London or New York. There’ll be no need to shop online and pay the exorbitant import fees. No more of this my friends because Topshop, the legendary UK fashion retailer, is about to set up shop on our shores. This is according to the Topshop SA Facebook page, who first broke the news on March 6th 2011.

For those of you who don’t know, Topshop is pretty much a God among mere insects in the world of high street chain stores. The quality of the fabrics they use and the designs they sell cannot be rivaled. Ask any woman about to leave on holiday to the UK about what she’s most looking forward to and you can expect her answer to include a lament about her excitement to go shopping in Topshop. The arrival of Topshop in SA will hopefully just be the beginning of a flood of arrivals of international fashion brands. Zara, the Spanish fashion line, has been rumored to be launching in SA for about a year now but we’ve yet to see this come into fruition. We’re also still lacking in the H&M, Gap and American Apparel departments. Topshop’s launch, and presumed success, will hopefully be the pushing factor for a host of other companies to bring their wares our way.

Topshop is also famous for their frequent collaborations with various designers and celebrities. Like H&M, whose partnership with the French fashion house Lanvin last year saw thousands of fashionistas lining up outside stores, waiting for the pieces to go on sale, Topshop’s collaborations create a similar frenzy. Their “Kate Moss for Topshop” line, which launched a considerable number of years ago, is still one of the company’s biggest sellers and their subsequent work with the likes of Christopher Kane and Ashish has been similarly successful. According to the Topshop SA fan page, their launch in South Africa, which was originally scheduled for July 2011, will now take place in November, to coincide with the debut of Lady Gaga’s collaboration with the store. This will no doubt cause a riot amongst Gaga and fashion fans alike and ensure an astoundingly successful opening for Topshop’s first South African branch.

The first store will be launching in Johannesburg with the subdivision for guys, Topman, opening as well. Cape Town and Durban’s locations are yet to be announced but hopefully these will follow not too long after. So, get excited boys and girls because once Topshop enters our lives, every day street style will never be the same in South Africa.

No comments: